Descendants of Captain Arthur Fenner
Nelson Fenner & Olmstead, Shumway
[b 12 July 1874; d 17 Feb. 1918] Nelson William Fenner was born in Ovid Township, Branch County, Michigan. He m 1st Millie A. Olmstead [b 15 Mar. 1877; d 30 Oct. 1914], the daughter of Mose Olmstead and Irene Olmstead (cousins). After Millie died of tuberculosis in 1914, Nelson m 2nd Miss Emma M. Shumway, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. L. A. Shumway, on 28 June 1916. Nelson was originally a farmer in Branch Co., Michigan, but he lost part of his right hand while shredding corn. After the accident, Nelson decided to run for Under Sheriff on the Democratic Party, and he won in 1916. Then, at the death of the sheriff, George W. Ralston, Nelson became the sheriff. He continued in that position until the time of his death. Nelson died of pneumonia in Feb. of 1918. Funeral services were at Elks Temple, Coldwater Lodge #1023 B.P.O.E., and he was buried at Batavia Cemetery.
Children by Millie Olmstead, all born in Batavia Township:
1. Ruth Marie [b 29 Feb. 1896; d 9 Mar. 1917] unmarried.
2. Howard William [b 28 July 1898; d 3 Apr. 1974] m Marjorie Straehly.
3. Hazel Dorotha [b 30 Apr. 1902] m 1st Howard Lockwood; m 2nd Claude Frazer.
4. Homer Collins [b 14 Apr. 1905; 8 Sept. 1981] m Eva May French.
5. Rolland Jasper [b 22 July 1907; d 18 Mar. 1986] married twice.
6. Leon Nelson [b 20 May 1912; June 1987] m 1st Marion Horton; m 2nd Maxine —.
Child by Emma M. Shumway:
7. Nelson William Jr. [b 27 Mar. 1917; d 1 Apr. 1989] m Marie Johnson [1910-1976].
a. Eva Fenner, Notes, 32; Nelson’s obituary.
b. Eva Fenner, Notes, 786; letter to Eva Fenner from Emma Shumway, 24 Jan. 1962.
c. Eva Fenner, Notes, 1034-35; letter to Eva Fenner from Mabel Maakestad, 22 Dec. 1963.
d. Nelson's memorial at FindaGrave, no. 28481610