Descendants of Captain Arthur Fenner
Thomas Fenner & Phebe Haynes
[b 30 July 1744 in Cranston, RI; d 14 Feb. 1827, age 82 yrs., 6 mo. at Fairfield, NY] Thomas Fenner m Phebe Haynes [d Oct. 31, 1823], daughter of William Haynes, between Middleville and Little Falls, NY. Thomas and Phebe deeded land in North Scituate, RI to Edward Fenner of Johnston in 1779 and moved to Berkshire Co., MA in the neighborhood of Adams, from which place he had the following service in the Revolutionary War: He was a private in Capt. Samuel Law’s Company, in Col. Symonds’ Berkshire County Regiment. He enlisted 27 Oct. 1780, and was discharged 28 Oct. 1780; 2 days by order of Gen. Fellows on an alarm at the Northward. He also served in Capt. Levi Brown’s Company in Adams, and Col. Asa Barnes’ Berkshire County Regiment. He enlisted 31 Oct. 1781, and joined the army under Gen. Stark at Saratoga.
His will is signed 29 Oct. 1822, and probated 21 Feb. 1827, filed in Herkimer, Herkimer Co., NY.
1. Catharine [b ca. 1765; d 1 Mar 1846] m Thomas Spencer on 4 Dec. 1885.
2. William [b 20 Jan. 1767; d 11 Aug. 1839] m Asenith Jenks.
3. Jane [b 1769; d 7 Mar. 1835] m Rueben Sheldon.
4. Major Daniel [b 1 Jan. 1770; d 1 Apr. 1817] m Lydia Arnold.
5. Thomas, Jr. [b ca. 1771; d Nov. 1822] m Mercy; was in Shay’s Rebellion while at Adams, MA.
6. Phebe [b 1777; d 7 May 1837] m Elisha Burlingame.
7. Asahel [b ca. 1780; d 14 Oct. 1818].
8. George [b 4 Dec. 1781; d 16 May 1846] m Mary Wilbur in July 1804.
a. Thomas Fenner's memorial at FindAGrave.com, no. 20506516
b. Eva Fenner, Notes, 502-503. In a letter to Lawrence Myron Fenner from Edward Blaine Fenner, 6 Feb. 1927, Edward gives Thomas’s death as 1821, but given the evidence in his will, this would be impossible.
c. Eva Fenner, Notes, 381. The will of Thomas Fenner, as copied by the Herkimer Co., NY, Surrogate’s Office and sent to Eva Fenner on 29 Sept. 1959. Thomas’s second son is spelled Asabel.
d. Some genealogies have linked George [1757-1827] to Thomas & Phebe, but they were too young and had a different George.