Descendants of George Fenner
James E. Fenner
[b 10 Mar. 1844 at Cold Brook, NY; d 24 Oct. 1912 age 68 yrs. 7 mos. 14 dys. at Linesville, PA] James Elory (or Elroy) was a Civil War soldier. He first enlisted in Company B, 137th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Infantry Volunteers. James helped to bury the casualties of the battle of Gettysburg. He eventually reenlisted, this time in the Union Cavalry, but he was arrested for desertion after he failed to show up for duty over the course of three months. He continued to serve in the Cavalry, although he was frequently hospitalized for various sicknesses. On 15 Dec. 1870, he m Hester Adamantha Broughton [b 26 Feb. 1847 at Beaver Twp., Crawford Co., PA; d 28 Nov. 1922 at Dormont PA], daughter of William and Hester Ann Broughton. She m 2nd Elijah S. Penfield on 19 Dec. 1914 and was buried at Linesville, PA. Hester was a descendant of Gov. William Bradford, a passenger on the Mayflower:
Children of James Elory Fenner and Hester A. Broughton:
- William Edwin [b 17 May 1872; d 27 Dec. 1951] married twice.
- Edith Tennissee [b 16 Sept. 1873; d 11 Sept. 1953] m — Fish.
- James Lewis [b 22 Jan. 1879; d 19 Nov. 1971] married twice.
- Hester Ann [b 17 May 1880; d 13 May 1936] m Frank E. Lyman.
- John Bernard [b 2 Dec. 1884; d 25 Oct. 1957] m Martha Charlotte Carr.
- Clayton Maurice [b 20 Nov. 1894; d 22 July 1980] married twice.
1. Jim Fenner, Fenner-Broughton Family History, 107-112. Jim gave Clara Louise’s birthdate as 23 Aug. and gave Vivienne’s birthday as Nov. 10.
2. Eva Fenner, Notes, 153. In a letter from Clayton Maurice Fenner, 18 Apr. 1957, Clara Louise’s birthday is 26 Aug. 1915, and Vivienne’s birthday
is Dec. 11.
3. Eva Fenner, Notes, 113. Letter from James Lewis Fenner, 31 Jan. 1957.
4. Eva Fenner, Notes, 140-1. In a letter from James Lewis Fenner, 18 Feb. 1957, James describes Hester’s relationship to Gov. William Bradford.
5. Email from Richard Arthur Fenner, 28 Jan. 2018
6. James' memorial at FindaGrave.com, no. 122154109