Descendants of Captain Arthur Fenner
[b 16 Sept. 1826 in Poland, NY; d 13 June 1895 in Providence, RI] Charles Arnold Fenner m 1st Ann Elizabeth Babcock [b 7 Jan. 1831 in RI; d 2 Apr. 1859; bur Hopkinton, RI], daughter of Oliver and Phebe Babcock, on 2 Apr. 1853 in RI. After Ann's death, he moved to Groton, Connecticut, where he was known to be a ship builder. He m 2nd Maria Sturges Bessie [b 12 July 1846 at Wareham, MA; d 7 Dec. 1924 at Mystic, CT] in 1863. "He built for the government a number of vessels, among which was the Galatia, which was later transformed into an ironclad and was among the first of that class of vessels to be placed in service" (Marshall, p. 120). Charles has gravestones in both Hopkinton, RI and Mystic, CT.
1. Philip [d 24 Jan. 1854 as an infant].
2. Mary [d 1 Feb. 1854 as an infant].
3. George Potter [b 5 June 1855, Potter Hill, RI; d 21 Oct. 1915] m Annie Smith.
1. Martha Benns, Notes on the Fenner Family of R.I. (1941), p. 61.
2. Charles' memorial at FindAGrave, no. 71354689
3. A Modern History of New London, Connecticut, ed. Benjamin Tinkham Marshall, vol. 2 (NY: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1922), p. 120.